BLACK AND BLUEBERRY PIE
by Haley Simonds
So I’m being a little cute here by calling this pie black and blue. Like what happens when you get punched and kicked. Like mixed martial arts. Like in the movie,Warrior. Maybe I shouldn’t try to explain. I’ll let the pie speak for itself.
Black and Blueberry Pie
Ingredients for the filling:
- 2 pints fresh blueberries
- 2 pints fresh blackberries
- 2 tblsp flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- the zest of one orange
- 1 tblsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tblsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
Ingredients for the brown sugar pie crust:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening, cold
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, cold and cut into little cubes
- ¼ cup to ½ cup ice water
- Lets start with the dough…
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, salt and sugar.
- Add the shortening and cold butter to the flour, and crumble the mixture with your fingers (or a pastry cutter) until it looks like coarse sand.
- Add the ice water, a little at a time, until the mixture comes together.
- Form a dough ball, then immediately stop touching the dough so it doesn’t get over worked.
- Divide the dough in half and wrap each piece in plastic.
- After wrapping in plastic, flatten each ball a bit. It’ll be easier to roll out later if it’s shaped like a slightly flattened disc.
- Chill the discs of dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Grease a nine-inch pie pan and set aside.
- Once the dough has rested in the fridge for 30 minutes, take out one of the discs to roll out.
- Sprinkle a little flour on a piece of parchment paper, and set the dough on top.
- Now sprinkle a little more flour on the disc, and place a second piece of parchment paper on top.
- Between the two pieces of parchment, roll out the dough into an 11-inch circle to fill the bottom and sides of the 9-inch pan.
- Carefully peel off the top layer of parchment, and invert the dough into the pie pan. Press the dough into the bottom and sides of the pan, and place in the fridge while you make the filling.
- Now for the filling…
- In a large bowl, mix all of the filling ingredients together. Yep, it’s really that simple. Set the bowl aside.
- Now roll out the second disc of dough exactly the same as the first.
- Take the pie dish out of the fridge, and spoon the filling into the pie.
- Again, carefully peel the parchment from the other piece of rolled out dough and invert on top of the pie.
- Pinch the edges around the sides of the pie to seal it.
- Cut a small hole in the middle of the pie to let air escape(it makes it look pretty too).
- Sprinkle the top of the pie with brown sugar, and bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 and bake for another 25 minutes after that. Eat!
Tasty tip: Serve with a steaming cup of joe a-la-Warrior, or perhaps a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Or both.